DIY Done Right

I’ve always wanted hardwood floors in my place, and after the kitchen disaster ruined my carpet as detailed in my last post I decided the time was right. While I’m sure there are plenty of good contractors out there, after my horrible experience with the Ransom Company remodeling my kitchen, I really didn’t want to go that route again. Lucky for me, my boyfriend is pretty handy and offered to help me put the new floors in. We planned to do the work while he was visiting at Christmas.

I chose natural bamboo wide plank flooring and read up on all the other materials we would need. I picked up all the supplies so we’d be ready to go as soon as Ian got into town. It took two Home Depot trips – one to pick up all the tools I’d need and the next to pick up 18 boxes of flooring. Thanks to a very helpful Home Depot employee at the Alexandria store, I managed to fit all of them in my little blue car with enough room for me to squeeze in the driver’s seat and drive home very, very slowly. Lesson learned here – even with an elevator, getting 18 boxes of flooring up to the 8th. floor is no picnic. My brother and his girlfriend happened to be in town that weekend though, so they helped tear the carpet up making my life a lot easier.

Ian and I got to work the following Sunday starting in the main room of my apartment. We put down the underlayment in strips over the old floor and started with the first planks of the click-and-lock flooring. He’d done one other similar type of floor so he had a good idea of how this would work. While I did my best to be helpful, I have to admit he did most of the hard work while I did a lot of the measuring. Progress was a little slow at first, but eventually we got the hang of it. After the weekend Ian continued working away during the days I had to go into the office and a few days later I had nice new, shiny bamboo floors. They make such an amazing difference it almost looks like a whole new place!

The work wasn’t quite done yet. After spending Christmas up in Syracuse, we came back and assembled a whole bunch of Ikea and Container Store furniture – a desk and shelf set, a pub table and chairs, a side storage table, a coffee table and an end table. When I bought the place it came furnished which was great at the time, but it was nice to finally add some of my own choices to the place. My parents helped complete the remodel with new area rugs.

While it was a lot of hard work, I’m extremely glad we did the project on our own. I did, however, have to promise Ian there would be no new projects anytime soon! Now that my new kitchen, new floors and new furniture are in place though, I won’t be needing anything else!

1 thought on “DIY Done Right

  1. Pingback: DIY: Ceiling Fan Edition « heart & sole

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s